2018 Claremont Fellowship Alumni Retreat and Salvatori Dinner
Registration for this event is now closed.
By invitation only
Saturday, October 27, 2018
City Tavern Club
3206 M St NW
Washington, DC 20007
The Claremont Institute is pleased to invite our distinguished alumni to join us on Saturday, October 27 at the City Tavern Club in Washington, DC for the annual retreat and Salvatori Dinner.
This year’s retreat will consist of a half-day Master Class on the scholarship of Harry Jaffa in commemoration of his 100th birthday on October 7. Reading materials will be provided in advance to all registered attendees.
Join us for what promises to be a lively discussion of the American political Founding and Jaffa’s unique critique of conservatism, and its many forms, in America.
11:30am-12:00pm Doors Open
12:00pm-1:00pm Alumni Retreat Welcome Lunch (Fellows Only)
- Welcome and Introductions–Ryan Williams
- Opening Remarks–William Voegeli
1:15pm-2:45pm "America as the Best Regime? Harry Jaffa on Conservatism and America" (Fellows Only)
This panel will take up Jaffa’s seminal essay, “The American Founding as the Best Regime” as well as his critique of conservatism’s strands in “The Fall and Decline of the American Idea.” Both readings to be provided in advance.
- RJ Pestritto, Senior Fellow, Claremont Institute; Graduate Dean and Professor of Politics, Hillsdale College (moderator)
- James W. Ceaser, Professor of Politics, University of Virginia
- Edward J. Erler, Senior Fellow, Claremont Institute; Professor of Political Science emeritus at California State University, San Bernardino
- Colleen Sheehan, Professor of Political Science Director, The Matthew J. Ryan Center Villanova University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Additional panelists to be announced.
3:00pm-4:30pm "Conservatism After Trump" (Fellows Only)
This panel will offer the outlines of a post-Trump conservatism, with reference to Jaffa’s call to his fellow conservatives to heed a more American conservatism, properly understood.
- Ryan Williams, President, Claremont Institute (moderator)
- Michael Anton, Senior Fellow, Claremont Institute; Lecturer and Researcher, Hillsdale College
- David Azerrad, Director, B. Kenneth Simon Center for Principles and Politics, Heritage Foundation
- Charles Kesler, Senior Fellow, Claremont Institute; Editor, Claremont Review of Books; Professor of Government, Claremont McKenna College
4:30pm-5:30pm Roundtable Discussion/ Debate among fellows (Fellows Only)
5:30pm-7:00pm Cocktail Reception (Fellows and Guests)
7:00pm-9:00pm Salvatori Dinner honoring the contributions of longtime friend and student of Harry V. Jaffa, Michael Uhlmann (Fellows and Guests)
9:00pm-11:00pm Rooftop Cocktails & Cigars (Fellows and Guests)
The cost to attend the retreat and dinner is $100 for Fellows. An additional guest dinner ticket may be purchased for $25.
Due to space limitations, registrations will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
ROOM BLOCK INFORMATION:
A limited number of rooms are available at the Westin Georgetown for a discounted block rate of $179.00 Traditional King Guestroom, per night, plus tax and $199 Traditional Double Guestroom, per night, plus tax. To book a room for Friday, October 26 and/or Saturday, October 27, please call 1(800) 937-8461 before Wednesday, September 26 and mention you'd like to book under the Claremont Institute room block. If you have questions about the room block, please email Laurel Conrad.